Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Frustration sets in.

My middle grade novel is suddenly changing on me the more I read about middle grade novels.  My concept I was going for would work better in a made up world or witches than in real life.  So now I’m toying with the idea of making my once plain and smart little girl into a plain smart little witch.  Ugh!  It really would work better, but hasn’t this been over done?  Witch stories I mean?  My concept is my character seemingly is the worst witch ever, but she is really one of the smartest and her wild knowledge helps save the day.  Then there is the concept of age.  First she was 8 then I pushed her up to 9 and now I am wondering if I should push her up to 12 now.  Ahhh!!!  Why can’t this be easier?  Such a mess this has become.  I am excited about the witch concept and I am eager to look up some “spells” and read folklore about witches and whatnot, but I’m still not sure on the concept.  I want to just focus on one novel but I feel this character could be a series.  Well I will work on the one and see what happens I guess.  Meh.  I should be in bed instead of doing this but I can’t sleep so I research.  Oh well. Off to research some more.

Writing away,
M.

No comments: