Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My return to writing. About freaking time!

So today is my official return to writing. I've been thinking about it for months and I finally opened one of my stories today. I was working on a story a while back while I waited to return to "Jumper" and now I'm back to working on "Jumper". I just went through chapter 1 and honestly it I feel it didn't get good until the last page of it and it's 9 pages long. Ahhh!!! I mean I feel I am putting to much fluffy filler stuff in there when I just need to tell the story. And I am having problems with actions my characters could do in between talking. Do I even need to focus on that? I now see why writers need to be readers as well. I need to get back to that. I always take long lapses in between reading and I hate that. I actually love reading, all stories, good and bad. I have some book reviews coming to show you what I mean.

But back to "Jumper", it's just such a slow start, but then again I am worried that it's just my negative side speaking to me. Oh, for those who don't know, I am working on my second draft of the story. Taking it one chapter at a time. Chapter 1 is done, for now at least. I know I will be revisiting it again very soon. I so need to get to the library and check out some young adult novels. I used to buy them all the time when I was a little younger but now I haven't done it as much. But if I am going to write young adult I need to know what they are interested in reading. So it gives me an excuse to order some or buy some at the store. I have some in mind that I want to get actually, so perhaps I will look into that later on this week.

I have this nagging need to share parts of my story to get some advice on how I'm doing so far, but without showing the full story I don't think I will be giving myself a fair chance and my story is just not ready to be seen in full yet. So I guess I keep pressing onward and just give myself some slack so I don't delete the whole thing. I love writing but it's so hard on my confidence at the same time, I hate that. Oh well. I'm off to work on chapter 2 now before I do some exercise. I'll let you know how that goes, hopefully I'll feel better about the story by the time I reach the end. Bye for now.

Writing away,
M.

No comments: